Thursday 12 January 2012

Blaze of Perdition - Towards the Blaze of Perdition

 
Blaze of Perdition - Towards the Blaze of Perdition (BLOOD HARVEST LP 2011 / PUTRID PROPHET CD 2010)
I do admit that I got to know this band and the album quite late. I sort of ignored Blaze of Perdition, without a reason, but because everyone was saying so much about "Towards the Blaze of Perdition" album and it got really good criticism, finally I also had to give it a chance. I've checked few songs and soon putted my order for the vinyl copy of the album, I liked it so much. Yeah, here's another Polish black metal band, which proves it’s worthy and strengthens the scene and which is another painful nail in the putrid corpse of christianity. The gatefold LP was by released by Blood Harvest and looks just brilliant, the artwork is just excellent and the whole layout is perfect for such kind of music. I must strongly recommend you getting the vinyl, which sounds just amazing and especially if you're into the so called religious black metal, whatever that means, then you shouldn't be hesitating whether or not it's necessary to listen to Blaze of Perdition, as I can assure you this is one of the best bands around at the time. Actually I prefer them over many more respected acts like Ondskapt, Ofermod or Antaeus! Brave words dare I say, yeah I know, but that's only because Blaze of Perdition is that fuckin good band!
First of all, I must say that "Towards the Blaze of Perdition" characterises very good production. The sound is unbelievably clear, what can be noticed especially with the more melodic parts, when the band almost becomes quite easily listenable, but at the same time there's a damn good dose of rawness, aggression and chaos in everything, so don't you worry that you'll deal with sort of softened version of Watain... or whoever. Fuck no.
What I like best about "Towards the Blaze of Perdition" is the way the band managed to create the atmosphere and leads the listener through each song with such a ease. The atmosphere is nothing more, but just obscure, sinister and utterly dark. But one of the main strengths of the album lies within the songs, their structures, phenomenal riffing and many great ideas. It's not enough just to say that there's a vide variation of tempos or whatever, the songs offer much more than that, with all the additional things Blaze of Perdition putted here and there and of course the vocals, which are just amazing, with two singers and both vomiting their blasphemies in their own way. I must say that those are some of the best arrangements I've had a pleasure to hear in many months, not to mention ultimately brilliant and insulting lyrics.
And I've mentioned the riffs... Yeah, there are many, many killer guitar parts on "Towards the Blaze of Perdition", many more melodic riffs, but all very aggressive and at the same time sort of atmospheric. I think that most of the album have been played in mid paced tempos, but that works great anyway, although yes, there are also some very uncompromising tracks like "Alchemy of Flesh" or "Son of Dawn", but it's never an easy way with one tempo throughout the whole song, there's always much diversity in it. And to say which the best tracks are on "Towards the Blaze of Perdition" is just very difficult, but I would need to mention the two, which have Polish lyrics: "Misterium Kliffoth" and "Królestwo Twoje". They really did bring my attention more than the rest of the album, with freezing atmosphere, devastating vocals and first of all with those ultimately blasphemous and insulting lyrics, full of hatred and antichristian power. Especially the one from "Królestwo Twoje" is like an anthem of disgust of god and all his works and believers. If you think how religious Poland is, then this lyric and song gets even bigger effect. I wonder how quickly some guards of morality will curse the band and throw all the anathemas into their throats. Ha, I bet Blaze of Perdition would love that!
Anyway, "Towards the Blaze of Perdition" delivers a splendid listening experience. I honestly didn’t hope this LP to be that fuckin good, so it’s cool that it went way above my expectations. So, do listen to me and get it ASAP. Take the best moments of Funeral Mist, Watain, Disiplin and Ondskapt, then you may imagine how strong is the music of Blaze of Perdition.
Standout tracks: "Misterium Kliffoth", "Królestwo Twoje"
Final rate: 93/100

No comments:

Post a Comment