Wednesday 12 April 2017

Warkult - Decay of the Gods

WARKULT - Decay of the Gods (Self released demo CDR 2016)
I got this CDR demo of Mexican Warkult a year ago (!!) from a friend, but I completely forgot about it and haven't played it until... yesterday (what a delay haha!). Maybe it's because I didn't think it will be anything good or it's just because I have too much other shit to listen to... I don't know why, but I simply didn't bother myself about it. The bigger surprise it wawhen it turned out that "Decay of the Gods" is really awesome demo and Warkult turned out to be very promising band. 
"Decay of the Gods" contains four killer death metal songs played in the old school, heavy way. The whole demo has probably just one, but minor disadvantage and it's the production, which gives you a feeling of home recording, not a proper studio job. Luckily things like programmed drums or quite primitive feel to everything didn't destroy the effect. More so, I have to say that homemade or not, this demo doesn't sound that bad and it's decently done. More so, Warkult came up with really killer songs and I have to say that I enjoyed this demo a lot. Their style is like a combination of bands like Bolt Thrower, Asphyx, Hail of Bullets, Humiliation, Decaying, Revel in Flesh and so on. Their riffs are heavy and groovy, played mostly in mid tempo, but occasional melodic parts and crushing slow riffs give the music more epic feeling. There's absolutely nothing innovatory or exceptional about Warkult music, but if you like old school death metal and bands, which I mentioned above, then I am sure that you will like "Decay of the Gods" a lot. With songs like "Operation Overlord" and "Decay of the Gods" (yes, they do have IIWW themes in the lyrics) it is really great stuff and as I wrote above, a great surprise and very promising stuff. I know that Warkult is working on a full length at the moment and damn, I cannot wait to hear it. 
Standout tracks: "Operation Overlord", "Decay of the Gods" 
Final rate: 75/100

No comments:

Post a Comment