Monday 23 October 2017

Sinmara / Misþyrming - Ivory Stone / Hof

SINMARA / MISTHYRMING - Ivory Stone / Hof (TERRATUR POSSESSIONS - 10"mlp 2017)
All this attention, which Icelandic black metal has been getting in past couple of years is quite surprising, to be honest. However popular or trendy this scene has become though, it does matter that it introduced us to some great bands and some very good albums. Names like SvartidaudiZhrineNadraSinmara and Misþyrming are those, which I suppose are most worthy of your interest. And if you never had a chance to hear anything from them, then maybe you can start with the split "Ivory Stone / Hof", which brings the last two bands I mentioned. So far, I have to say that I liked Sinmara music more, their "Aphotic Womb" is a killer record. But Misþyrming's "Söngvar elds og óreiðu" is no less interesting. So, having these two bands on split 10" vinyl was a great idea and a must to have release. 
There's one song from each band and of these two, I have to say that I enjoyed Misþyrming's "Hof" more. It really is a splendid song. Great main melodic riff, truly vicious and sinister aura, great fast tempo and just great coldness that surrounds everything... It may even be better than anything this band has done on their debut album, so I am impressed. I need to say that the performance and production are also all top notch and damn, these guys did a great step forward. 
Sinmara's "Ivory Stone" is quite difficult to get into, especially that chaotic, dissonant opening part. After a while it gets a bit more putted together... but still, this song requires rather careful listen. Riffs sound like a wild blizzard, attacking with destructive, aggressive manner and has almost uncontrollable force. It's interesting to catch some eerie melodic patterns in this maelstrom and generally I started to like this song more and more, with every next spin of the record. I have just ordered their newest recording "Within the Weaves Of Infinity" and I just can't wait to hear it. 
So, over-hyped or not, there's something unique and truly interesting about Icelandic black metal. I am impressed and this split 10" is definitely another great release from this scene. Get it before it's too late! 
Final rate: 70/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment