Thursday 9 November 2017

Sadistic Intent - Reawakening Horrid Thoughts

SADISTIC INTENT - Reawakening Horrid Thoughts (IRON PEGASUS Records MLP 2014)
If you call yourself Sadistic Intent fan, then you must be very patient person. We all know that this band has never managed to record a full-length album, despite their unstoppable 30 years long existence. More so, last thing they've released was "Morbid Faith" EP in 2002, recorded in 1998! Luckily last couple of years were more active for this now legendary band and finally some new recordings were unleashed. First "Reawakening Horrid Thoughts" MLP came out through Iron Pegasus!! Only two songs and a cover, but it's better than nothing, I say! And it's just great to hear some new stuff from this band for sure. 
But... hmm, I have read some pretty harsh reviews for this new MLP and I need to agree with few of themWhen I compare "Reawakening Horrid Thoughts" to some of the band's older material, then I am just slightly disappointed. Production wise it could have been better, to be honest, with more massive and powerful sound. Of course, it all is soaked in the old school death metal filth and harshness, but it wouldn't harm to get sound even close to "Ancient Black Earth". Secondly, the cover, which Sadistic Intent prepared for this MLP is Darkthrone's "Fuck Off and Die" (very surprising choice!). I don't like it. I don't like any of Darkthrone's past "Sardonic Wrath" records, I don't like also this song, I hate when Darkthrone plays punky metal and so I don't like this cover. I can understand the choice, but just because it's Darkthrone and Sadistic Intent doesn't mean I have to jump in excitement and enjoy it. I can stand it, but you won't see smile on my face when I listen to it. 
Luckily the other two songs are pretty damn good, although if I can be honest again – and I always am – I may miss that primeval morbid intensity, which characterised earlier Sadistic Intent recordings. "Malignant Spirits", which supposedly was written for Possessed, at time when both Cortez brothers were members of this band, is very good. It has that strong "Seven Churches" feel, no doubt about that!!! I love these razor sharp, aggressive riffs and that very old school aura. Great song for sure. The second song is "Horrid Thoughts". I just read that it's an old song from 1988 rehearsal recording, I suppose you can hear it, because some of these riffs do sound archaic a lot. But I like it a lot and that melodic part in the middle of the song is truly phenomenal and it's my favourite fragment of the whole MLP!! Third track is the mentioned Darkthrone cover... which I don't like so much, so I even skip it sometimes. I am not bothered about it. 
And that's all, not so much for almost twenty years of waiting, but damn, it's better this little than nothing. I enjoyed this MLP, but at the same time I did expect a bit more from Sadistic Intent. Recently they also unleashed split LP with Pentacle "Invocations of the Death-ridden" in 2016 also, so grab a copy of that one also. 
Standout track: "Horrid Thought" 
Verdict: 70/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment